Thursday, May 9, 2013

Introducing the Grand Duchy of Fennwyck

"The Empire is a large and diverse place full of minor kingdoms, duchies and baronies. For the past 500 years the emperors have maintained power by keeping all those princes, dukes and barons at each other's throats. They are allowed to own small, personal armies. These armies may be called up in an instant's notice to defend the Empire from its vast number of enemies, or used to settle petty grudges and territorial disputes between nobles. War in the Empire, seems to be the pastime.
Fennwyck is a small Duchy of the fringe of the Empire with big plans. It is a foggy dismal place, populated by people much the same. THe current Grand Duke, Oswald the Bold, tired of being a backwater, has decided to extend the boundaries of Fennwyck. Better government through ruthless expansionism. Oswald has left the command of his armies to General Vanderwalt Klegg, an able tactician of intemperant nature."
Following an earlier post, most of our group is building their armies for Maurice. We have settled on each person taking a barnyard animal as their personal sigil. I have chosen the rooster (or cock) as it matches my Chinese zodiac symbol. Here's the army, their colors and standards:

6 comments:

abdul666 said...

I hope we'll enjoy a presentation of each country involved

Essjam said...

J, I am grabbing this image and will work on my color schemes. See my blog for the infantry. See you tonight.

Martin said...

My Dear Baron,

Given the heraldry on their banners, you simply must have a Banistre "Banny" Rooster among the cavalry officers!

I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops....so please keep us posted.

Martin

abdul666 said...

Btw your new Maurice campaign fully deserves, if not a 'collective blog' à la EvE, at least a special 'label' to the corresponding posts; on all participating blogs, indeed (it can be done afterward using the 'edit posts utility, and it's not a chore if done before posts to be labelled are not too numerous).

Also, what about giving a list of all blogs involved? For instance I just discovered Essjam's one thanks to the comment posted above.

Sean said...

Fantastic. One thing that is causing me pause for my own 18th C. endeavor is how to keep the regiments linked but have some color variation. For me I'm stuck on each country having a certain base uniform color and standard cuff/ turnback color. Am I just being too "regimental" in my thinking? I just noticed when I watched the 1950's version of War and Peace that I couldn't always tell the French and Russians apart, especially the cavalry, as the variety of colors just confused me more. So just trying to get my head around a compromise. If you care to share your thoughts.

BaronVonJ said...

This was the time of plenty of variation. Even the flags weren't the same. Whole books are written on the subject.
18th French uniforms could be grey, a pearl white, or white. Cuff,collar, turnback variation in every color. Then "foreign regiments could be blue, brown, red even green. Each regiment had their own color. The only thing in common was the white cross in the middle..
Go crazy.