Thursday, July 7, 2011

Does SciFi always mean Science Fiction?

It seems these days SciFi is always hard science. What about the old days where it blur the line with Fantasy? I'm thinking planets and swords stuff like the John Carter series. Look at this Frazetta painting for what I mean:

Or a bit of my childhood with He-Man:

I think this is an untapped area for RPGing and wargaming.
Currently I know of Sorcery and Super Science, a post apoc RPG, but that's it.
Lasers and Swords? Magic and Robots. C-mon!
Looks like I'll be grafting some blasters on to some ancients soon.

4 comments:

Bill said...

Radium rifles and swords! Sounds like a good time to me. The problem is writing a scenario so that people don't just sit back and shoot. There has to be a reason to get in close and flail away with your sword. Maybe that cavern of yours would be a good place to have a fight like that.

BaronVonJ said...

True dat.
-J

Chad Thorson said...

Fantasy used to be called Science Fiction until the 70's when they split it into another genre.

You should check out some of Lin Carter's books, he wrote a lot of fantasy that included robots and swords and lasers in it.

Lead Addict said...

gamma world was science fantasy, so was Thundarr, and so was Heavy Metal.