Thursday, February 9, 2017

Wings of Glory

The battle over my favorite genre of wargaming is a constant struggle. High up on that list is WW1, particularly dogfighting. Years of Blue Max and Canvas eagles, fiddly telescoping flight stands and failed hex based mats lead me down dark paths.
I was attracted to Wings of War, like most, by the nicely sculpted, pre-painted planes. But the ability to play on any horizontal surface with little prep made me latch on. Wings of Glory takes all the bits of WoW and puts them in one box.
With our Thursday games temporarily moved to Wednesday, attendance has been down. We got 5 last night. With me acting as ref, it was the perfect size for a rumble in the skies.
We played a few Basic Rules games to get the mechanics down, then adding all the extras of the Advanced Game.
WE played 5-6 games over the evening. Some games took half and hour, one was over in two turns when one German plane blew up, and the other was ganged up on and shot up with high damage cards.
It's a great system to play a whole campaign in one night of afternoon. I have already started remounting planes on magnets and ball bearings to simulate those climbs and banks. Iwill be trolling eBay and the like for more planes.

5 comments:

sean gewecke said...

I enjoy this game. I got one of the big bombers. It makes for some interesting scenarios.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim Jackaman said...

Like the sky and the little puffy clouds!

BaronVonJ said...

It gave the illusion of cover. I need to get some WW1 mats (which they sell) but refuse to use the plastic old GW mats everyone seems to use for Blue Max..

Foss1066 said...

I'm a huge fan of this game, even though I often get turned around. It has the right amount of chaos to make the battle feel "real" That and I love love love the WWI planes!

Cheers
Ths

Foss1066 said...

Baron- I made my WWI matt based on the maps that came in the old Red Baron computer game that I played on a Tandy 386. https://skullandcrown.blogspot.com/search/label/wings%20of%20war

Ths