Thursday, December 13, 2012

Pulp Alley

The Red Raptor-his motives are his own....

I have been looking for a set of Pulp-era rules for awhile. There's lots of good ones out there, and I have a ton of great miniatures for it. But most rules won't hold up to the 6-8 players I get every Thursday. So I was delighted to get a chance to try Pulp Alley by David Phipps while still its playtest phase.
Lady Dora Stanpipe-late of Madame Cheddar's School for Strong Willed Young Ladies

We gave it a whirl last week but I didn't take pictures because of lack of finished minis or terrain. Our brave playtesters looked past this and dug in. The game embraces the idea of pulp with Leagues or teams or stalwart heroes led by a Leader. The roster is then filled (in a very simple way) with Sidekicks, Allies and Followers. Your Leaders are, of course, the toughest. They get d10s and d8s to fight evil. Everyone else down the line gets progressively fewer sided dice.
Players must capture Plot Points while facing Perils, represented by a Fortune deck.
I found the mechanics very streamlined. The game easy to pick up, and most of all, handled our crew.
The pre-game and post game sequence is smart, with a campaign smoothly integrated.
Mr. Phipps has been very responsive to both questions and suggestions. I highly recommend this when it comes out. I'm painting away to form 8 teams.
One thing I have done is make character cards for the actual games. The rosters are good for the campaign aspect.

6 comments:

MIK said...

I've always liked the pilot figure here, the red raptor logo on his back ala Blackhawk is extra nice! I like the stat card you've whipped up here as well.

Lead Addict said...

Hopefully we can try some Strange Aeons after xmas as well.

BaronVonJ said...

You get da book? I told Reese about it.

Scottswargaming said...

Sounds interesting Baron, thanks for the heads up.

Fitz-Badger said...

Sounds cool. Any thoughts on the game's suitability for solo play?
Excellent miniatures!

BaronVonJ said...

Hmmmm, probably not a solo game.